Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Response to "Problem Child"


        I really appreciated opening the book and having “Notes form the Editors.” I am definitely one to skip the preface but the editors were just completely sincere and honest about how much work it is but because of that it made for a more successful addition. Which made me even more inclined to read through the booklet. Since my two class experiences with poetry in English 213 and peer editing nonfiction in English 50 I have definitely felt more drawn to poetry. Something about the amount of words on a page intimidates me but after reading through the piece “Sweet” (8) I honestly thought it was a lovely short story. The topic was almost cliché but since her story was so different I found it interesting. The way she started with a quote and ended it by tying it all tighter just blended so well with the theme of the intertwined and complex relationship her parents have. I also recognized the poem “Coffee Shop” (14) that is modeled after the poem “Dolor” by Theodore Roethke (I had to do the same exact assignment and its one of my favorite poems called Forgotten). It is just so dark and creepy about some of the most mundane things. Brilliant. The short piece “Sword Play” I thought when I read the index was going to be a poem on “word play” and the title was being clever but it was actually a story about a sword. It was just one of those incredibly vivid memories that seem to have no significance when you picture in your mind but when you put it down on paper the purpose of the scene comes to life. The next piece I thought was really well done was the last poem “To Save You the Only Way I Can.” Every time I have tried to write a love poem, I want to throw up on myself. I just thought this was so simple and original and I completely envy her ability to make up the sweetest metaphors.
            Basically I would say that this book just got be caring about writing again. I was in one of those “I just can’t wait for Spring Break and for work to stop so I can do nothing for days, get bored, and then wish I was back at State College again.” I get in these stupid moods all the time where I completely immobile by boredom with life and I beg myself to do something interesting, meet new people, or pick up a pen and get inspired. But “getting inspired” is the hardest part. But this booklet was actually uplifting. That other students on campus are writing, and writing really interesting things. I think I definitely want to check out a meeting or post one of my poems for this semester. Last semester when we had poetry assignments I actually went to the library and tried to check out “poetry books” that I just felt were so irrelevant to my life. That is until I picked up Julia Kasdorf’s books and a grad student suggested I check out Allen Ginsberg’s Howl and then I watched the movie that James Franco stared in about Howl. These kinds of writings were ones I could relate to and feel moved by. I still appreciate the classics but they are to be obviously honest – are intimidating. With poems written so long ago by older poets it brings me back to “I can’t do that”, “I am not a professional writer” but neither are the authors of these entrees. 

No comments:

Post a Comment