Thursday, April 5, 2012

Nichole Cooley and Julia Kasdorf poetry reading

The poets called themselves “poetry pals” and sometimes even “poetry sisters.” I found this really comforting because sometimes when I am writing I feel so self conscious of my work that I isolate myself. Whereas these two very well established American poet’s shared that they love having partners to revise their work, to inspire them, to keep them going, and to cheer them on when they accomplish something as well. It’s always nice to make that one friend in class who I can always just send over my work to over facebook and will just tell me that it’s really vague and give me great critique. Nichole read older work of hers that stemmed mostly from her experience with Hurrican Katrina. Her parents were stuck in it and her poetry has very clear language with low diction. Julia’s was a lot about small towns, Bellefont to be exact, but her language had a little more flair to it, a little more finesse and irony. Julia mentioned that tomorrow is the first day of Passover and also Good Friday. This doesn't happen often at all and in face one of her poems she read was called “Prospect Park Holy Week”. Both women were extremely inspirational and made me want to go read some Yates and write reflective poetry.  

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I think realizing that writing can be and, I believe, should be a communal/cooperative act is invigorating and empowering. I'm glad you had that realization thanks to this reading.

    ReplyDelete